Friday, June 18, 2010

Springbrook National Park

Yesterday I visited Springbrook National Park in South East Queensland and was amazed at what a wonderful place it is. I was so pleased to see that there had been so much effort made to maintain the forest and ecosystem.

It inspired me to find out more about the area and to inquire when I get home (I am from Melbourne) about how I may help to preserve such amazing areas where I live.

I was blown away to realise that only 0.3 percent of Australia’s rainforests still exist!

While searching the internet I found a UK tourist site that promotes visits to the Natural Bridge and was saddened at the picture that they are using to promote it. It shows a couple in the water just outside the bridge.

This area is protected and entry into the water and deviation from the designated paths are prohibited. It really does promote incorrect use of the area, and I can easily understand why visitors would disregard the warning signs if they had an expectation of being able to enter the very enticing waters there.

See below link:
http://www.partner.viator.com/en/2672/tours/Brisbane/Springbrook-National-Park-Discovery-Full-Day-Bushwalk-including-Glow-Worm-Tour/d363-3311RAIN

I am sure as their business is based on showing tourists such wonderful areas they would also like to preserve its natural beauty for as long as possible so that all can enjoy.

So I took my first steps to becoming an active citizen, much to the amusement of my partner. I wrote an email to the Department of Environment and Resource Management QLD (DERM) advising that I would be sending an email to the company requesting they replace the picture with a more appropriate one, and asking DERM to do the same.

Not really expecting to be taken seriously (I imagine people who do this have grey straggly hair and smell a little funky), I was chuffed to come home this afternoon to two emails advising me that one of the departments directors would contact the organisation.

What a thrill!

It goes to show, that even the smallest effort goes a long way to preserve this beautiful earth we have been graced with.


No comments: